ACCURATE AND PRACTICAL ADVICE ON FREEDOM OF INFORMATION, SURVEILLANCE LAW AND DATA PROTECTION
Ibrahim is a qualified solicitor with over ten years of public sector experience. He currently acts as a consultant to IBA Solicitors a niche public sector firm.
Ibrahim advises on all aspects of information law, mainly for public sector organisations, including local authorities, the NHS, universities and government departments and agencies.
Ibrahim's main work areas include:
- Data Protection: Advising on all aspects of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) and associated legislation. Assisting clients to comply with the DPA during major procurement, outsourcing and business change projects. Recent instructions include advising:
- a local authority on the data sharing implications of setting up a One Stop Shop
- a county council on the data protection implications of local government re organisation including the transfer of personal data to two new unitary authorities.
- a solicitor's firm on a subject access reply from the police
- an international charity on its web privacy policies
- a local authority on sharing access to its CCTV cameras
- Drafting a CCTV sharing agreement
- Freedom of Information: Advising on all legislation which gives access to public sector information including the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. Drafting and advising upon Refusal Notices, decisions of the Information Commissioner (Scottish Information Commissioner in Scotland) and appeals to the Information Tribunal. Recent instructions include advising:
- an environmental protection organisation upon (and redrafting) a confidentiality agreement to comply with FOI.
- an applicant under FOI on an appeal to the Information Tribunal.
- a pubic sector organisation on a response to the ICO about a FOI request concerning the number of employees who are union members
- a local authority on an FOI request involving personal data about staff
- a local authority on deeming a requestor vexatious under section 14
- a local authority on disclosure of statistics about staff disciplinary issues
- Environmental Information: Advising on all legislation which gives access to environmental information held by the public sector and private including the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004. Drafting and advising upon Refusal Notices, decisions of the Information Commissioner (Scottish Information Commissioner in Scotland) and appeals to the Information Tribunal. Recent instructions include advising:
- an environmental protection organisation on claiming the Regulation 13 exemption in relation to personal financial information about farmers
- on the drafting a Refusal Notice under EIR Regulation 13 (personal data)
- on the application of EIR to water utility companies
- on the correct interpretation of the EIR charging regime
- RIPA/Surveillance Law: Advising on the law which governs the way public sector organisations carry our surveillance on people, their movements and communications including the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 and the Regulation of Investigatory Powers (Scotland) Act 2000. Recent instructions include:
- assisting a local authority to prepare for an OSC inspection
- redrafting a local authority surveillance policy
- producing staff guidance on completing RIPA application forms
- Privacy and Human Rights: Advising on all aspects of privacy and human rights particular in the areas of CCTV, staff surveillance, information sharing and joint working.
Please read some of the testimonials from satisfied clients.
Contact Ibrahim to discuss your training or legal advice requirements.
Search for solicitors in Birmingham online at
RIPA GUIDANCE VERSION (3 April 2010) - Comprehensive guidance on how to complete the standard Home Office forms for doing Directed Surveillance and deploying a CHIS. Fully revised to take account of the changes to RIPA which come into force on 6th April 2010.